Go Back   AstroHolic.com > Astronomy Equipment > Eyepieces

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Long Dawg Silver

United States
Default Tele Vue 2" 32mm "Wide Field"

Thanks to Ted who sold me this fine piece for a generous price. The specs, as I know them right now:

2" barrel
32mm focal length
65-degree AFOV
20mm eye relief
18.5 oz.
Shaped like a 27 Pan, basically, or my Q70

In the 120ST it yeilds 18.75x with a 3.47-degree true field of view and a 6.4mm exit pupil. That's a large exit pupil for me at my age, and being in a red zone to start with, but the view is so good anyway that I don't mind.

I wanted an eyepiece that would give me the best edge performance without breaking the bank in my 120ST achromatic f5 refractor, also replacing the Orion Q70 26mm I have been using. I also didn't want a giant eyepiece. This one weighs 18.5 oz., not bad considering the six elements and 2" barrel. The only thing is, it will not be as compatable to my higher-power eyepieces, they being very lightweight. However, I will be using the 32mm as a so-called "finder" eyepiece. I can always just lock the axes if I want to go on to higher magnification. The pull will be uneven, but maybe not too much. It works, so far. Perhaps I will make some handy counterweights. I am happy to report that the focuser held well with the eyepiece rotated out sideways.

I received the eyepiece on Thursday, December 22 during what was said to be a week's worth of clouds and rain ( of course) all the way through Sunday, Christmas Day. The Queen and I were about to go to Table Rock on Friday for just one night. Naturally, due to the forecast, I did not take the scope along.

A big mistake.

We arrived at our motel under clear blue skies, and saw the best show in a couple of years that night in the green zone. Talk about cussing!!! What a fool I am. BUT, Istill managed to do a thing with the 10x50s as best I could, unti aboutl 2am, off and on. Lots of good stuff, many things naked eye that I could never see from home in my red zone. What a difference. It was not all a loss, for I came across many things that I would like to go back to look at with the scope. But, the main thing is that I got to see many objects as I never get to see them.

Well, I must've repented satisfactorily since Christmas Eve night showed me a clear sky for about an hour. I rushed right out there, after watching Rudolf, that is (1964 animated version). The first thing I saw was the Pleiades. I was very pleased, first of all to see the best pinpointy stars ever with this eyepiece. This is the best eyepiece I have owned to date. Ted says it is a forerunner of the Panoptic line, and is from the mid-'80s, I think he said (correct me if I'm wrong, Ted). On axis stars were stunningly sharp, for me and my ten-year-old glasses (I know, I know). My Q70 loses on all accounts, including on axis. Even my 40mm Plossl isn't this sharp. Actually, I didn't think it was possible for my old eyes and these old glasses to see stars this pinpointy. This is a very pleasant surprise. My main concern was how well they stayed sharp toward the edge. To wit:

70% out from center stars are still pretty good. Even 75% is not bad enough to be distracting. 80% on gets them bloated. But, in the old Q70 they were bloated by 60% and no good to look at. The Tele Vue is showing a view that is much more in focus overall, and keeps things that way much further out from center. It's as good as I have been expecting to be able to do with this scope. Now I have the ideal eyepiece for low power. It also gives a larger true field of view (3.47-degree) than the Q70 26mm's 3-degree. Amazing.

The Pleiades framed well, the entire cluster looking clear, with room to spare. Oroin's Belt just barely fit in the FOV, leaving the stars at either end too close to the edge to be perfectly sharp. But, twoof the stars at once worked fine, also with room to spare. The Double Cluster, the same. Now here's where the eyepiece showed its stuff. It did a great job of transmitting the smallest stars in the image, making for a stunning view of this great cluster, even from this red zone. I missed Jupiter and M31 before clouds came back in.

I look forward to many more wonderful lnights with this eyepiece. I don't know how I could've made a better purchase. Thanks again, Ted. And thanks to all for reading. I hope it helps someone else.

Ya'll be good.

Celestar 8 / Criterion RV-6 / Orion120ST / Celestron Wide View 80

"I study astronomy more than any other foolishness there is." --Mark Twain

Last edited by RussL; 12-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RussL For This Useful Post:
derek klepp (01-05-2012), DizzyGazer (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Performer of Nefarious Acts

United States

The 32mm Televue Widefield was my most used eyepiece from around 1985 to sometime in 2009. It was used in a 13.1 f/4.5 telescope in a red/white zone and in a 25" f/5 telescope in both a red/white zone and a green zone. I have compared it to a 35mm Panoptic eyepiece and to me the 35mm Panoptic was about 5% better, mostly because I like wider fields of view.
In 2007 I obtained a 30mm Meade UWA eyepiece and it took me at least a full year to move it into first place in my observing lineup. My old best buddy was now out of a job and it sat in my eyepiece box until I found someone deserving of adopting it.
It is so good to hear that it is working well in your 120ST. I'll bet that some of those globular clusters that we have talked about over the years as being resolvable in your telescope will finally break down into piles of stars, even at this low magnification.
The Following User Says Thank You to star drop For This Useful Post:
RussL (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Long Dawg Silver

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by star drop View Post
 The 32mm Televue Widefield was my most used eyepiece from around 1985 to sometime in 2009. It was used in a 13.1 f/4.5 telescope in a red/white zone and in a 25" f/5 telescope in both a red/white zone and a green zone. I have compared it to a 35mm Panoptic eyepiece and to me the 35mm Panoptic was about 5% better, mostly because I like wider fields of view.
In 2007 I obtained a 30mm Meade UWA eyepiece and it took me at least a full year to move it into first place in my observing lineup. My old best buddy was now out of a job and it sat in my eyepiece box until I found someone deserving of adopting it.
It is so good to hear that it is working well in your 120ST. I'll bet that some of those globular clusters that we have talked about over the years as being resolvable in your telescope will finally break down into piles of stars, even at this low magnification.
I can't thank you enough,Ted. And thanks fo considering me "deserving," a compliment I receive humbly. I will always take good care of the eyepiece and consider it a treasure, if only because it was yours before me. It also indeed performs well in my scope. I think I could go all evening with it alone in the diagonal. No doubt there will be nights like that. I am fortunate to have the winter sky handy right now with so many great objects to use the eyepiece on. Looks like the rest of this week might be good for clear skies after Tuesday. I will hopefully get to use it by Wednesday evening. I sure do miss that green zone sky from last week at Table Rock, though.

I thought maybe I saw some barrel dsitorion roll by while I was panning with the eyepiece, but I haveen't really checked for it yet. But it'll be ok, I'm not very concerned with barrel distortion, unless it were severe, which it obviously is not.

I'm lookin forward to giving many reports while using the eyepiece.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM
The Lord of the Ducks (Moderator)

United Kingdom
Thumbs up

I'm lookin forward to giving many reports while using the eyepiece....

And we are waiting to read them...

Geoff........................

Stay calm and have a beer
Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Long Dawg Silver

United States

Noticed something interesting about barrel (pincushion) distortion last night. As I pan, the distance between stars gets a little wider as I approach the edge. If I go back and forth quickly I can detect all the curvature I have going on in this system. So, it's there alright, but it doesn't affect my viewing. That's the extent of it. I've yet to look at something terrestrial in the daytime to see how that goes.

AstroHolic.com > Astronomy Equipment > Eyepieces

Register your FREE account today!