Go Back   AstroHolic.com > Astro Imaging > Video Astronomy > The GSTAR-EX User's Group

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Newcomer

Australia
Default Camera Threads

Hi
Well this is the first time I have posted on this forum so a little about me first before my question. I have 2x GStar cameras which I have ben using now for about 2 years with an 8" SCT and a 90mm Megrez refractor. So I know Imperial measurements and Metric. I hate clouds and the moon. The rest up above is awesome and these cameras are great so help see it without having to squint with one eye closed. So thank you Steve Massey for making affordable cameras available. Now for my question. I have been using these cameras with a nose piece that just pops into where an eye piece would usually go. When remove the nose piece what is the thread on the actual camera without that nose piece? Is it C mount or something? Can I remove the nose piece and connect the GStar directly to an eye piece. I have a few Hyperion eyepieces that have a thread on the end (like where your eye would normally be) M43 and M54 threads I think for connecting cameras directly to the eyepiece. So can these cameras be connected directly to and eyepiece with the nose piece removed and if so what would i need to be able to achieve this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise in this endeavour.
Cheers
Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to trapdoor For This Useful Post:
dynamo (05-12-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 PM

United States

The outer thread is a t thread (i think), the inner is a c for sure.
dynamo (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Australia

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum.
I have the GStar EX-2 and confirm that the front lens thread is for C-mount lenses. I also have a couple of Hyperion lenseswhich are fabulous for viewing. I have some reservations about e.p. projection with them, mostly that I think you will find that because of field curvature, only the centre of the image will be in good focus. That being said, it could be that the GStar may only see the centre of the field in which case that won't be a problem. I don't know as I haven't tried.
In order to resolve your inquiry and have connected the units. I used a C-mount to T thread adaptor supplied by My Astro Shop with the kit I purchased. You will then need an adapter ring T-mount to 42mm(?) to attach to the lens.
The following might be of interest:
http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-...s-Version2.pdf

The whole setup is going to be very heavy on the end of your scope especially if you want to LRGB imaging as you will no doubt add a filter wheel.
Anyway, let's know how you go.
Robert
Celestron 6SE, HEQ5Pro, GStarEX2, Nikon D90 etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Dwarf For This Useful Post:
Vinnie (05-12-2015)

AstroHolic.com > Astro Imaging > Video Astronomy > The GSTAR-EX User's Group

Register your FREE account today!