Go Back   AstroHolic.com > Astro Imaging > Video Astronomy > The GSTAR-EX User's Group

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Australia
Default GStar + Public Outreach

Just spent a week at Bonny Hills (just south of Port Macquarie). Hadn't thought of it before but recently realised that the GStar camera could be a perfect match for the small ETX 90EC (now mostly otherwise unused) when doing outreach work. So took both with us and bingo - they were a hit. If you are interested in the setup see http://lpod.wikispaces.com/January+26%2C+2013 . What viewers of LPOD don't see is the daytime context view as per the attached image. You'll notice the same wooden picnic table in both. Chalk another one up for the GStar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonny Hills by Day.jpg (152.6 KB, 15 views)
dynamo (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM
The Sultan of Solar

Australia

Well done David
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Australia

Good on you David.
Celestron 6SE, HEQ5Pro, GStarEX2, Nikon D90 etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Australia

Video astronomy is a great tool to assist with public outreach - I have used it a few times for Solar demonstrations. Great work David.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Australia

Thanks Guys

David
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Newcomer

Australia

G'day all,

First post here in AstroHolic's for me,

Yes, GSTAR is a fantastic tool at outreach gatherings. It is the main reason why I got my GSTAR camera.

Astrophotography isn't my niche in this hobby. I'm pretty much just a visual affectionado. But, this has also made me aware of the difficulties that novices have when viewing through a scope, particularly in the big smoke. Averted vision isn't a skill that is the easiest to acquire when there are 30 other people waiting behind you. Couple this with bright sky glow, and novices really have no way of seeing much of what we take for granted. And certainly no galaxies.

I have a dedicated video rig that I use at outreach evenings. It serves two purposes for me: not only does it show what would otherwise be invisible, but it is an inexpensive rig, and shows that getting reasonable results doesn't need to cost the Earth.

My little rig is a humble little 114 f/4.4 scope that I've coupled to a disused set of Meade 8" SCT forks that was destined for the scrap heap. The wedge I made myself (and my kids painted, ) and tripod I've had for 20 years. For a monitor I use my kids portable DVD player that fortunately has an AV-in socket. I've uploaded a couple of pics of my modest little rig.

Last June, I used this rig at Wiley Park Girls' High in Sydney at their first astro viewing night. This modest little scope was able to show Eta Carina with a red hue and its intricate dark pillars. Omega Centauri filled the screen. And what was invisible in the 8" and 12" scopes also in the field, the galaxies Centaurus A and M104. Fantastic!

I'll be returning to Wiley Park Girls' High this coming October. One show piece I'm excited to show the students will be the Grus Quartet of galaxies that I managed to pin a couple of weeks ago. Faint, but identifiable. At an average distance of 65million light years, here we have a direct and tangible connection to the time when the dinosaurs were wiped out! Excellent,

Cheers,

Alex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114 video rig (3) - CN.JPG (140.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 114 video rig (2).jpg (150.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Australia

Good stuff Alex. A great, and clearly well thought through rig. Small enough to be easily transported and big enough to deliver the goods. I wonder how many enquiring young minds will be set on a new and exciting path as a result of your outreach work with this rig?

David
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Australia

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier David... wow that Bonny Hill near Port looks like a lovely place. Thanks for the interesting post.. Yep, the camera will work nice with the Moon in that little ETX90 .. as you have shown.

AstroHolic.com > Astro Imaging > Video Astronomy > The GSTAR-EX User's Group

Register your FREE account today!